CHARLOTTE-MECKLENBURG SCHOOLS PRESCHOOL EXCEPTIONAL CHILDREN
Accessing Special Education Services for Your Preschooler
What are the steps involved in this process?
1. Concerned parents call the CMS Exceptional Children intake telephone line at 980-343-6960. A case history is completed and the information is forwarded to the preschool evaluation team.
2. The evaluation and IEP team meet with the parents to discuss their concerns, gather data, and conduct a developmental screening.
3. The evaluation team obtains written permission for testing, gathers any already completed test reports, and conducts a comprehensive assessment.
4. The evaluation and IEP team schedules a final conference with the child’s parents to discuss the evaluation results and decide whether or not special education and support services are needed.
5. If the child is eligible for special education and support services, an Individualized Education Program (IEP) is written based on the child’s needs and parent consent for services is obtained.
6. Special education and support services can be put in place through the
CMS Preschool Exceptional Children Program.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools requires the following information when starting the evaluation and eligibility process:
- A copy of the child's birth certificate
- Three copies of Mecklenburg County proof of residence, domicile, or McKinney Vento status
700 East Stonewall Street